-----In 2004 we bought a falling-down house and 30 acres. This blog documents our progress-----

Monday, October 16, 2006

San Francisco inspiration

In early October I was in San Francisco for a work conference. It finished on the Friday and I stayed over the weekend to visit friends.

On Sunday Caroline and I went exploring to see some of the beautiful old houses. I'd been to San Francisco several times before, but not since I got interested in architecture, so it was fun to look around with fresh eyes.

You can see all the photos I took here, but below are some that sparked particular inspiration for Amherst.

Bamboo mural on the front of a house in Haight Ashbury - something like this might be nice for a shed or verandah wall?
house with bamboo mural

I loved the glossy black finish on these stairs.
glossy black steps

And I loved the concept of training vines to grow across the risers of stairs.
vines growing on steps

I like the small verandah under the eaves of this house and can see something like this working well with the style of Amherst.
tower and balcony closeup

You can barely make it out in this photo, but there's some lovely old stained glass set in the trellis on the edge of the verandah. Something like this could be really great on the verandahs at Amherst, at one end to screen something off, or simply as a partial divider maybe? In particular, for the old cottage now Dad is putting the wraparound verandah on.
stained glass in deck

I loved this plant, especially how the melodrama of it so fitted with that of the house. This is a reminder to not separate planting from the architecture.
my favourite house

Plunging rosemary plants... I never knew they could grow like this. This might be a nice option for around the balcony edges or on terrace walls.
rosemary plants

No comments: