-----In 2004 we bought a falling-down house and 30 acres. This blog documents our progress-----

Monday, May 29, 2006

3D model of bedroom

Yay! Sketchup is actually easier to use than I'd expected. Yesterday I managed to create a 3D model of the bedroom & dressing room area for Amherst. Below are a few screenshots and you can see more here:

xray view from north and east side

view from top without roof closer up

view from east side without roof

I'm so glad I did it because the roof shape from inside looks nothing like what I'd expected from seeing the 2D drawings. I'd been thinking that the bedroom would feel cavernous and the angles would be too sharp, but seeing it now I really really like it.

The only thing I don't like in this section is the dressing room, because it feels more like a walk-in closet rather than a room. It's also too small. I've already altered it slightly, by taking off the lowered ceiling that Eric had drawn in which helps a little but it's still not ideal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool. I've been watching a few housebloggers start to use SketchUp but I haven't downloaded it myself. You did a nice rendering with it! It will be interesting to give it a spin when we've got a project that moves walls and things down the road.