-----In 2004 we bought a falling-down house and 30 acres. This blog documents our progress-----

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Smith Museum of Stained Glass (Chicago)

OK this is a bit off-topic, but since I posted about Oak Park I figured I may as well put the rest up too. We went to this museum in the evening. It's at Navy Pier which is a very odd place for a museum... but nonetheless it was great. The windows were installed in lightboxes in the corridor so you could just wander through at your own pace.

If you want to see them all, you can look here but here's a sampler. My favourites, of course, were all by Tiffany:

landscape with waterfall (tiffany) unknown name but by tiffany another by tiffany the life return
john the apostle writing on island of patmos (tiffany) p7 garden with fountain leaves on diamond pattern

2 comments:

HomeImprovementNinja said...

I love that museum. It's very underrated. But I wasn't crazy about the tiffany stuff. I liked the german hand-painted stuff better. I found that place by accident when I went to the place that the SNL Cheeseburger-Cheeseburger skit is based on.

Unknown said...

Lynetter

I belong to a church with Tiffany windows and I’m trying to identify the designer. Your picture of “landscape with waterfall” http://www.flickr.com/photos/12356381@N00/95515520/
Is the only picture I can find of the window with that name, which I know is designed by Agnes Northrop.

You could help me out a lot if you looked at the window down the page at
http://www.nbm.org/Exhibits/current/Picture_This.html

which is also from the Smith Museum and check your recollection. I suspect that this window is the one that should be named “landscape with waterfall”.

Please email me at cathy.lilly “at” gmail.com with your thoughts.

Thank you